DISPATCH SCENARIO

• this is slightly like what Director Hayes posted about Incident Commander, except this is a dispatch incident.

you are a 911 dispatcher in a small texas city. you get a call about the following scenario....what do you do?

you answer the 911 line at 2 in the morning. the RP is panicked, and rapidly explains the following situation:

--a car going at least 55 miles per hour (is the speed limit on the road, but may have been going much faster) has gone off the road and hit a tree, and is now on fire. some passengers were ejected, some entrapped. the burning car is next to a small patch of woods surrounded by a residential area. there are at least 3 occupants involved in the wreck.

what units do you send? you have the following options:

closest to farthest:

-station 5: battalion, rescue OR engine
    -station 2: engine OR brush
    -station 4: engine OR brush
    -station 1: quint OR engine, ambulance
    -station 3: engine OR brush OR rehab/air cascade unit.

-unlimited EMS and 8 patrol cars.

it is your job to make a quick call. who do you dispatch? you can also call in off duty firefighters to take other apparatus.

• nice

• I want to let everyone know that unfortunately, this scenario happened last night in my town. :( it is very sad to here about this troubling event. I can't imagine what the families and the first responders and RP are going through. please keep them in your prayers. And let's honor them by using it as a learning experience- even as a small one.

• what I would dispatch:

-station 5 battalion and rescue
    -station 2 engine
    -station 4 engine
    -station 1 quint and ambo
    -station 3 standby

-3 additional medical units
    -6 pd for traffic and investigation

-would also have alerted life flight of possible transport assistance. thank you for your time and god bless.

• Now it depends what type of response time there is, If the department is paid (Full-Time) Volunteer (Firefighters respond to the station in their pov's. Now If someone had called 911 sooner or later then state police would have been dispatched, or the local police department. Now like i said it all in depends, see how it works here near me they will send the law enforcement or state police is already in the area and this vehicle was maybe involved into a traffic pursuit. But please dont get me wrong this happens everywhere and it all depends what type of call it is.

• Now it depends what type of response time there is, If the department is paid (Full-Time) Volunteer (Firefighters respond to the station in their pov's. Now If someone had called 911 sooner or later then state police would have been dispatched, or the local police department. Now like i said it all in depends, see how it works here near me they will send the law enforcement or state police is already in the area and this vehicle was maybe involved into a traffic pursuit. But please dont get me wrong this happens everywhere and it all depends what type of call it is.

I like the way you think, but you are reading into it too much. This a simple what would you do situation with what you are given. The firefighters are on duty paid, and the first due rescue is two minutes out. Using just local PD.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!