Point in fly cars

• Hi, what is the purpose of fly cars, I always thought that they were rapid response vehicles for medics but I have been sending them to minor calls and every time it says ambulance is required but when I send an ambulance they end up not needing transport.

• Well, this is certainly our thoughts but was the most common vehicle requested for the EMS side of the game. It's odd they don't finish jobs though.

Eventually we can look at missions for it but it ultimately is an ambulance minus the transport ability. They should finish a job unless transport is required.

• Fly cars are used for 2 things. One is first response to provide treatment until an ambulance from another district comes (many depts use a Pumper, Rescue, Ladder, etc in this role). The other is to transport a paramedic to a non-paramedic ambulance to provide higher level care to a patient. The county I am building in uses them in both these roles. The county I live in they are only used for getting paramedics where they are needed.

• Fly cars could only complete like fallen person where transport isn't always required. In real life fallen people usually are older people that just need help getting up. After all treatment at scene is not permitted by the Department of Health.

Treatment on scene isnt permitted? Im not sure where you are from but do your paramedics not treat diabetics in their home then release them? This is the most common treat and release that we perform. D-50 is a hell of a drug.

• Sounds odd you can't treat at scene over there. In the U.K. an ambulance will do everything they can to avoid a trip to hospital by treating at scene.

Yea, often as you said in the UK they will have RRVs that have more advanced paramedics who can carry out more advanced treatment just to avoid going to hospital (They Do here anyway)

• Sounds odd you can't treat at scene over there. In the U.K. an ambulance will do everything they can to avoid a trip to hospital by treating at scene.

We do treat patients on scene as much as possible. Maybe where he is, is different. I've never heard of not being able to treat patients on scene.

• We do treat patients on scene as much as possible. Maybe where he is, is different. I've never heard of not being able to treat patients on scene.

He may be referring to the EMT-Basic level as well. To the best of my knowledge there is not a single state that prohibits treat and release. Technically you can not force a patient to allow transport if they are an adult and if sound mind, thus even if you didn't want to treat and release, if the patient decided to refuse care and transport after treatment was initiated, you would have to allow them to refuse transport.

• As an EMT-B, you're still allowed to treat the patient on scene. Obviously, we don't carry monitors, saline, D50, and other Paramedic level skills/meds. So, anything cardiac related we always wait on EMS to come with the monitor. Now this is for my department I volunteer with and the department I work for. I understand, not all departments operate the same.

• New York State Department of Health forbids treating an releasing at any level. Unless the patient doesn't want to be transported and signs off everyone must be transported to the hospital.

You first stated that you could not treat a patient at the scene.

Now this statement contradicts itself, you are forbidden to treat and release, but then you allow them to refuse.

I believe what you are trying to say is that no EMS provider can advise a patient that they do not need transport, they are still going to provide treatment on scene, but if the pt chooses to refuse transport, they are allowed to sign the refusal of care form. So back to the original topic of fly cars, a fly car could arrive on scene, begin to render aid and or just ASSESS the pt and the pt may still decide they want to refuse care, thus your fly car could cancel an incoming ambulance.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!