Smoke Detector Checks/CO Alarm calls

• Fire1664Man

Changed the title of the thread from “Smoke Detector Checks” to “Smoke Detector Checks/CO Alarm calls”.
  • Yes, but speaking from an IRL perspective, say you get to that call and it turns out to be an actual fire or CO/gas problem. A truck or rescue company alone is not capable of fighting fires, CO maybe, but if it's a gas leak even then you'll need a suppression vehicle to be prepared to extinguish a fire should one ignite. If the truck is a quint then sure, but other than that in real life most departments send a single if not double engine response to smoke and CO detector activations.

Can we possibly get this to be either an Engine, Truck or Rescue ? I can't imagine this needs to be an engine specific call

• Yes, but speaking from an IRL perspective, say you get to that call and it turns out to be an actual fire or CO/gas problem. A truck or rescue company alone is not capable of fighting fires, CO maybe, but if it's a gas leak even then you'll need a suppression vehicle to be prepared to extinguish a fire should one ignite. If the truck is a quint then sure, but other than that in real life most departments send a single if not double engine response to smoke and CO detector activations.

The way I interpret the smoke detector check calls is as a community service call for checking batteries in a smoke alarm - that really could be any fire unit. Fire alarm activations come in under the calls appended with (Fire Alarm System).

While true, the vast majority of the time if something beyond an alarm is going on it will get paged as such. I have been on/heard of more calls coming in as structure fires/gas leaks that were not than I have alarms being a fire/leak.

• While true, the vast majority of the time if something beyond an alarm is going on it will get paged as such. I have been on/heard of more calls coming in as structure fires/gas leaks that were not than I have alarms being a fire/leak.

Well yes a majority of the time it's nothing. Departments don't go in thinking an alarm is nothing though (at least they shouldn't) most departments respond as if it's an actual fire or leak. Just speaking from a realistic perspective, I understand what your'e saying though...

• I've been tracking a local fire department's callouts for about 20 days now and they've sent their platform truck or their rescue to CO investigations several times, but smoke investigations get a very large response- ambulances, battalion chiefs, engines, platforms. They don't mess around. I'm not saying we should have to do that but I AM saying that *CO* callouts should not be unit-specific.

• if its a smoke detector check then why cant a FPU be used and free up an engine , platform or quint.. i sent a hazmat didnt work had to send a truck

From my perspective a Fire Prevention unit may sound like the way to go, but in our area there are tons of 55+ communities. If a detector needs to be replaced or batteries changed an FPU my not have a ladder or the tools to replace or install. So we always send an Engine.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!