EMS Triage Issue

• I have been having this problem for a while now. When I have a call with multiple patients and send a mixture of ALS and BLS ambulances (based on the level of the patients) my ALS ambulances are treating and transporting A and B level patients leaving the BLS to handle patients above it ability and requiring me to send an additional ambulance.

For example: I have a call with 3 B level and 2 D level patients so I send 3 BLS ambulances, 2 ALS ambulances and an EMS Chief trained and set up to transport automatically. If the ALS ambulances arrive first they will start treating a B level patient and will then transport that patient. That leaves me with two D level patients and BLS ambulances left to treat them. This forces me to come back to the call and dispatch additional ALS ambulances to handle these patients that the correct resources had already been on scene to handle.

There really should be a triage system where the highest level patients are treated first.

• I generally send my ambulances based on the patient type

For if I have 3 ALS, 2 BLS then 1 ALS - I'll send my trucks to ensure that they arrive within that specification.

• I don't believe on arrival ambulances treat the "next" patient in order, it seems to be random which ones they treat on arrival. Once they've cleared the first patient assigned to them though, they go to the next patient in order.

I suppose that is semi-realistic though as arriving ambulances will treat who is available and as new victims are added to triage, the order of treatment shifts.

• I've been doing it for at least a year that way, the ambulance has already treated the next patient, so if there are 5 patients (A-B-B-A-A), ALS arrives first and treats the first patient (ALS), second ambulance (BLS) treats the BLS patient. It's been working so far.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!