Fire response

• Hi. This is not completely MissionChief related so admins please delete if not allowed.

I’m curious to know what the US response to incidents are.

In the U.K. say a building fire for example maybe something like make pumps 4 plus Ariel so 4 Engines and an Ariel would be sent and so on. What is the equivalent in the US? can anyone help?

• Hi. This is not completely MissionChief related so admins please delete if not allowed.

I’m curious to know what the US response to incidents are.

In the U.K. say a building fire for example maybe something like make pumps 4 plus Ariel so 4 Engines and an Ariel would be sent and so on. What is the equivalent in the US? can anyone help?

So far I have seen various compliments required based on the type of structure. I think an industrial fire gets 6-8 engines, two trucks, two Heavy's, 2 Chiefs and a haz mat. Kitchen fire gets 2 engines.....and it goes on and on...varies

• In the area I observe (Cary, NC dispatch area for Cary, Apex, and Morrisville, NC), it's about the same. First alarm for a structure fire dispatches 4 Engine companies, a Ladder company, a Rescue company or other Mobile Air unit, and 2 Battalion Chiefs. County has a similar structure to their dispatch.

• Thank you for your replies. Just getting an idea if there is a standardised response to particular incidents and how it works. I’ve never understood it.

Nowhere close to standardized but most larger departments use some combination of a 3-and-1 (3 Engines/1 Ladder/1 Battalion Chief) or 5-and-1(5 Engines/1 Ladder/1 BC) for most initial fire responses.

Once you get into working fires, every single department is different.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!