Posts by Policefreak55

I'm actually going to offer a dissenting opinion and say it's pretty realistic as it is. The response is based on the probability that there is a potential structure fire (seeing as the upgraded call is a residential fire), and the minimum amount of apparatus and equipment are dispatched so proper assignments can be given in the event of a fire. Granted this next bit is anecdotal, but around here the only case where a call like this wouldn't receive a ladder on the assignment is in the rural areas where some departments don't have or need ladders due to their response area not having any structures that would warrant a ladder truck, or they can't afford one because of budget constraints; however, some of those departments have mutual aid agreements with nearby departments who do have ladders that will respond to fill out the assignment for a confirmed structure fire. Just my 0.02 cents.

for those like me who dont understand. could you please explain what school sro is? thanks

School resource officer. They are employed officers at police departments whose primary duty is dealing with the school system and its students. Providing an armed presence at school sites, dealing with truancy and behavioral issues with students, responding to calls for service at the schools within their school system, etc.

Or they could rename it to a more generalized "officer needs assistance" due to its call frequency, and make a new, less frequent (translate = rare) officer down call.

Tell it to the FDNY I'm going by what I read and by the way IC even made it this way. You can disagree all you want but the FDNy response guidelines are not wrong because ther FDNy made them this way. By the way the guy that posted the response guidelines is a real FDNY firefighter I'm pretty sure a real FDNY firefighter would know what his own department does.

Well if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to see these guidelines you're viewing please.

That's what I read it's posted on this one website that has the basics of the FDNY alarm response guidelines it specifically stated that the departments seven rescues are there not for civilians but for the firefighters themselves.

It just isn't correct lol, a vehicle's fireground assignment largely depends on what the IC needs at the time and what resources are available. FDNY will automatically assign a truck as a FAST truck when they dispatch that truck on the box, but it can be any unit assigned to the box that operates as the FAST. If a firefighter calls a mayday then the rescue and the squad might be called to assist depending on the type of mayday and tools needed. But aside from that, Rescues can serve on any calls. They make up part of the FDNY collapse rescue units, consisting of a rescue company and a collapse rescue truck which respond to, well, building collapses. They handle scuba rescue, rope rescue, train derailments, airplane emergencies, really bad accidents, anything that requires special rescue equipment.

FDNY operates very differently than other departments do the Rescues are not for regular civilians the Rescues are for thre firefigters in case they are needed if you are looking for a rescue that is for civilians you would be looking at the departments 6-8 squads which are all regular engines but respond in two piece sets an engine and a utility truck.

I'm not sure where you learned that but FDNY's seven rescue trucks (one per borough and, last I knew, two reserve rescues, 6 and 7) respond to incidents not just for firefighters, they handle regular jobs on a fireground and respond to special rescue assignments that would require specialized training or rescue equipment. Which, NYPD ESU may respond to as well since they ALSO have that same specialized rescue equipment. In fact there has been a longstanding bitter rivalry between the FDNY and NYPD ESU for a long time now because of it.

Squads and rescues can do the same duties, and fill in for what roles are needed on the fireground by the IC depending on resources at the time. Both personnel are trained at the rescue school and are FDNY SOC units, but Squads can function as an engine co., a truck co., and a rescue co.. But, unlike a rescue co., squad personnel are HazMat techs also, the main reason the FDNY recreated the squad co. in the late '90s, it needed a unit capable of handling something biological in the case of another attack. The second vehicle assigned to the squad companies stores their HazMat equipment.

Assuming that you use type 2's as brush trucks, allow me to make a formal request to make Type 2 Engines another option in the Alarm and Response menu.

I actually use type 1's with a max transport size of 2-4 (depending on department vehicle's make and model). Using type 1's allows me to reconvert them to a full size engine company if I need to move a company to another department that has and requires one more than a department would need a brush unit.

And while adding type 2's to the response plans is an excellent idea, it still doesn't solve chevyrulzs' problem of wanting to group his fire stations under the one unified department they operate under and wants his call responses to only come from, nor does it allow for a more versatile and role-play/realistic that I could see being available to the player base if groups were added as a functioning list to draw/block units from in alarms and response regulations.

Adding groups as another means of filtering your alarms and response regulations would essentially allow people to not only create city specific response plans, only drawing resources from the city's response group, but also allow for players to essentially create their own unique unit types as well that can be called from the alarm response tabs. I did a mock up of what the implementation would look like.

I've attached two mock up photos demonstrating what I believe could be a way to add more to the game that would benefit all of the players in one way or another. These pictures are made with a basis on the viewer having a basic understanding of how both alarm and response regulations, and groups work, which I'm sure most if not all of the people here have used or tinkered with at one point or another.

There is a checkbox in the edit menu of every vehicle that says "Exclude in the Alarm and Response Plan". I have all my brush trucks marked as such and that way they don't get called to a residential fire or whatever else (commercial, industrial, etc.)

That's well and good for structure alarms, but for brush responses I'd like to respond ONLY brush trucks, or a brush and an engine, depending on location and the engine's capacity as a grass fighting engine with a response plan, but I would be unable to if those units are, as a whole, excluded.

I use single unit response plans for smaller calls for service alongside full response plans (or was using these, until I ran into these problems lol) separated by columns to quickly select the unit and amount to send to a call, or send an additional vehicle with individual unit response buttons if another vehicle or manpower is needed, or if a call escalates and a partial response is already on scene for the upgraded call that I need send one or two units to, however with the current alarm and response system that makes it impossible to do.

Using groups a way to filter alarm and response vehicles would allow the ability classify units as brush vehicles as a whole including trucks and engines into a unified response pool for multiple unit responses, brush truck only responses, grass engines only, etc., or as a blacklist that woukd act as you said as the blacklist option we have now, but still allow those units that may not be good for one reaponse plan, to be readily available for another that you need.

You do have the "Groups" function, which acts in a similar way.

The problem I've encountered with groups is in the fact that it selects ALL the units within that group, where as with response regulations it only selects the number and type specified. I ran into a problem where I was using response regulations to assign alarms for structure fires. Due to the limitations of the Chief, my brush units are classified as engines and get assigned on structure responses; or vice versa, a regular engine will be assigned to a grass fire when a brush may be at the same station and available.

It would be nice to use the groups function in harmony with alarm response regulations. For example you can select which stations the units in a response come from, would it be possible to select a group that the units come from in a response regulation? You could have the possibility of giving a group an unlisted value so that it wouldn't appear on the calls tab like all groups do now, and using those unlisted groups to categorize vehicles as you wish, by department or type of unit you specify. Then, add a drop down menu on the alarms and response regulations tab to select which group the alarm will draw the units from so only units from the corresponding group will be selected, just as you're able to do with stations.

EDIT: After careful consideration, while this is a good solution for department responses and individual unit response tabs, it does not solve responses where units need to be decluded from a response plan. Using groups in conjunction with alarms/reponse would essentially be a blacklist/whitelist system, I just never included a solution of the blacklist part, only whitelisting. The blacklist system would function just as the whitelist system, but would instead preclude any unit listed in the group. It would also function as a dropdown menu, and maybe have the ability to select multiple groups through either a.) Another dropdown menu that appears under the first once an option has been chosen or appears by clicking a small prompt such as a + icon, or b). Another dialog tab listing all groups and allowing you to mark which ones are included.

A residential fire can be anything from a single house to multiple apartments together. I think to accurately represent an apartment fire just simple create a Large Residential fire and have the number of units be increased. I've personally been on two apartment fires and the number of units we had on scene were crazy.

I have to agree with this. The amount of units required for the residential fire call out reflect that of an initial response to a single family dwelling structure fire. Apartment fires can require muuuuuuuuch more than what the in-game residential fire asks of you. A large residential fire call out is broad enough that it could encompass all sorts of scenarios. It could be a well/fully involved structure, an apartment, a large house such as a mansion, etc. that would require much more than an initial response of a few engines, a ladder and a chief. It could spawn on its own and residential fires could have the small possibility of upgrading to a large residential fire upon arrival of the first due unit as well. The response could look something like this, I'm not sure if variable responses are in the game, I haven't really look enough to know, but numbers could be between:

4-5 Engines
    2-3 Ladders
    1-2 Chiefs
    1-2 Medics
    2-3 Police Cars