OSM map data on web, Google Maps on Android app?

• If my question sounds dumb, my apologies in advance.

I'm curious why Google Maps is used on the Mission Dispatch maps in the Android app, but OSM is used on the web and in the dispatch center of the app.

I would think that using Google Maps would reduce, if not totally eliminate, the 'road that doesn't exist', 'fireboat crossing dry land', and 'firetrucks crossing a lake without a bridge' issues.

Just a random thought on my part... :/

Chief, I'm a rescue man. I trained to be a rescue man, and I like being a rescue man. - Johnny Gage, LA County Rescue Squad 10

• The game has been using Google Maps in it's beginnings but due to Google being a large company, that would have costed a lot with growing amount of players, thus the switch to free and open source OSM has been made.

Google Maps on Android App is available as this is some kind of natively integrated into the system (Android is a google thing) => no additional costs to use the google maps in the app as far as I know.

I don't think that using a different routing system / routing base would reduce the amount of issues at all or very much. Fireboats crossing dry land is due to they did not implement the usage of water roads (although data would be available). Vehicles "flying" happens when no route could be found that is considered "good enough", if all or most streets are integrated in OSM, then there would not be much change when switching to the big data crawling company ;)

• Yeah... There is nothing free when it comes to Google, sadly. And I never thought of the integration of Maps into Android. Question answered, thanks!

Chief, I'm a rescue man. I trained to be a rescue man, and I like being a rescue man. - Johnny Gage, LA County Rescue Squad 10

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!