USAR or Technical Rescue?

• USAR = Urban Search and Rescue aka building collapse major disaster etc. Technical rescue can be confined space, rope, high angle and many other specialized teams. I think you could say USAR is a type of technical rescue, but they are not the same thing.

• In Australia NSW we have both, I'll show some pictures below because why not. The first three are USAR, the last two are technical rescues.

USAR - It only really gets used for earthquakes, trench/cave rescue and structural collapse non fire related.

Technical Rescue - I've seen it deployed to severe road accidents, technical rope rescue, other complex rescues, swift water rescue (there is a boat rack on top) and it also acts as a USAR unit. Any large scale fires they also show up. This is the direction our area is moving into.

We only have 4 Technical Rescues in our state and 3 USAR units that may or may not go into retirement if the rollout continues. Rural areas don't currently have these vehicles and can usually manage with their rescue pumpers and rescue tankers.

Will technical rescue/USAR be required at certain missions or is it more of a bonus if they are available? I'd prefer the bonus as they are very uncommon compared to Heavy Rescue, I don't know if that is similar to anyone else just my thoughts.

Thanks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!