Realistic advice

• Hello everyone,

To the ones who play realistically, how do you learn where all the stations are and what units each station has as well as each units call sign?

I have two accounts one that is not realistic and one (just started) that my goal is to be as realistic as possible.

Thank you

• Google is your best friend. Just type in whatever fire department and most have a website and many of the major ones have wikipedia articles, although they may be old and outdated.

Wikipedia is usually a good start, but like I said it may be outdated. I have found that due to new or closed stations or units from further research. But like I said its a good start to get the basic big picture, how many stations, engines, ladders, special units. Most of the time it even has the address of the stations.

Next source would be department websites. Many fire departments like to show what they got. Usually that is where you would get more reliable and up to date news on new stations or apparatus being activated. Like wikipedia, the department websites are reliable with address but some do not give specific details on what units are stationed there.

Finaly the last one and the most reliable with up to date information are Fire Department annual reports. These are usually found on department websites and mostly come in pdf. format these days. The annual reports are just what they sound like, annual reports of how the fire department has done for the last year. If you want all the info you can get about a specific department that's where it will be. Annual budget, call volume, new equipment and programs. But most importantly for what you're looking for it will give you stations and units assainged to them 90% of the time.

TLDR
    Wikipedia good source for big picture. Stations, apparatus, address.
    Department websites more reliable, up to date source. Stations, apparatus, address
    Annual Reports coming from said departments are best most up to date source. Gives active stations, apparaus assaigned, personell and whatever other general info interests you.

• A little friendly advice, if you stick too closely to reality you will find yourself in trouble trying to answer calls. Sometimes you have to take a little artistic licence at what is at a station. For example, many of the VFD and county stations park some equipment outside or under a metal garage, tankers and wildfire trucks the most. So you will have to add stalls at your station to include them. The important thing to remember, its not a simulation and depending what your goals are feel free to be flexible. I still put my stations where they should but the equipment is not 100% accurate.

• A little friendly advice, if you stick too closely to reality you will find yourself in trouble trying to answer calls. Sometimes you have to take a little artistic licence at what is at a station. For example, many of the VFD and county stations park some equipment outside or under a metal garage, tankers and wildfire trucks the most. So you will have to add stalls at your station to include them. The important thing to remember, its not a simulation and depending what your goals are feel free to be flexible. I still put my stations where they should but the equipment is not 100% accurate.

100% right. At the rate we have building collapses in the game, most cities would be levelled in a few days :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!