Naming Units

• This is going to be a lengthy post s my apologies! I have a realistic setup and thus I use the numerical system my counties use in real life. Here's the breakdown:

Each vehicle has a 4-digit unit number. The first two digits correspond with the number that the department is assigned. For example, the Metro West Fire Protection District is assigned "33", thus all of their vehicles start with "33--". In the same way, the Monarch Fire District is assigned "22", and the West County Fire District is "35", etc. I'll stick with Metro West for this post. The third digit is the Station number, so any units at Station 1 would start with "331-". Reserve or special units tend to start with "339-", or "338-" depending on how many there are. Any command staff usually starts with "330-" and (only for command staff) the fourth digit reflects their rank within the department (i.e. 3300 is the Chief, 3301 the Assistant Chief, and so on. The final digit for the main Fire units is the unit type. This is the system that St. Louis County and the surrounding areas use.

0-A non-rescue-capable engine
    1-No Units associated
    2-Quint
    3-Tanker
    4-Rescue-Engine
    5-Platform Ladder (non-quint)
    6-Heavy Rescue, sometimes Utility, sometimes Special Ops Unit
    7-Ambulance
    8-Brush Truck (sometimes ATV)
    9-Special Unit or Utility (Boat, ATV, Specialty Trailer, Tech. Rescue, etc)

So here are some examples.
    Instead of calling "Metro West Ambulance 1 responding", it would be "3317 responding".
    A Quint at Station 1-3312
    A Rescue/Engine at Station 2-3324
    A Tanker at Station 3-3333
    A Quint at Station 3-3332
    A Rescue at Station 4-3346
    A Brush at Station 5-3358
    An ATV WITH brush firefighting capabilities-3398
    An ATV withOUT brush capabilities-3399
    The HAZMAT/Tech Rescue-Either "HAZMAT 33" or "3356"
    Utility at Station 1-3316, but only because the boats at Station 1 are "3319"
    Boats at Station 4-3349
    Battalion Chief-3302

Hope this helps! I promise this isn't their entire apparatus profile I just wanted to show the systems versatility considering it runs from "01" all the way up to "99" with all the departments in this area!

• I really like this one! Quick question What if a station has multiple vehicle that are the same?

Good question! Typically here most departments have multiple fulltime stations, so any duplicate units are generally reserve or secondary response. So for example, Creve Coeur Station 1, "23--", has a frontline platform and frontline ambulance, in addition to a reserve platform and ambulance. The frontlines are 2315 and 2317, the reserves are 2395 and 2397. Another suggestion is that if a theoretical department (lets say... "22--" in keeping with the St. Louis County System had two stations and three engines, the engines at Station one would be 2214 and 2234, while the engine at Station two would obviously be 2224

• I just use Iowa's system... The county numbering. Each county has a number (sorted alphabetically ie. Adair is 1 and Wright is 99). I don't really know who has what in reference to fire units except from what I can do with pictures so I'm only planning to run Boone County's fire/EMS setup and progress on the PD side... Boone's county number is 8, and I'll either expand to Story County (85) or Dallas County (25).

Each unit number starts with their county number, then their department badge number. My Ogden PD car is 8-48, my Madrid car is 8-502. The lower numbers like 8-8, 8-12, 8-19 etc are held for the SO :) bigger counties will have more deputies, ie Dallas County goes to at least 25-24, and I'm pretty sure I saw 25-30 once.

EDIT Idk why the picture shows up so big I thought it would resize itself so heres the link instead https://i.imgur.com/tC52lT5.jpg

• This is how i normally set up my units however they may change depending on what area they are from as i cover multiple counties

S01 is the station's callsign.

S9 Is for Operational Support Units in Suffolk.

NO071 Is an East of England Ambulance Service callsign and is not a Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service vehicle so i cant tell you why there callsigns are like that.

T9 Is for Suffolk's Unimog 4x4 response units.

IRU 050 is a national resilience designation number, This shares the same style of callsign as other IRU's or other "New Dimensions" vehicles across the UK.

A6 Is the aerial appliance designation.

P3 Is used for Water rescue Ladder's.

P5 Is used for Pump Rescue Tenders.

P1 Is used for Water rescue Tenders.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!