Trauma Requirement

• I've noticed that there is a trauma requirement for Difficulty Breathing sometimes as well as on all Cardiac/Respiratory Arrests. I'm curious why the closest facility does not suffice in these situations or if it wouldn't be more appropriate for a cardiac requirement?

Thanks

• I've noticed that there is a trauma requirement for Difficulty Breathing sometimes as well as on all Cardiac/Respiratory Arrests. I'm curious why the closest facility does not suffice in these situations or if it wouldn't be more appropriate for a cardiac requirement?

Thanks

I'd say trauma centre is the best option for those specified above, If a cause for the cardiac/respiratory arrest was given I'd agree that a cardiac centre would be an option. Respiratory arrest/difficulty breathing is not always from a cardiac issue and trauma is any life threatening condition - so a trauma dept would be appropriate, I'd have thought you'd know that judging by your signature...

• I’d say based on his signature he would transport to the closest facility.

That's a very vague term, if you mean the closest Emergency Room, then you'd probably be correct, that said, the problem that is occurring is trauma - a cardiac arrest with unknown cause is trauma, hence why I understand the requirement for a trauma department.

• I'd say trauma centre is the best option for those specified above, If a cause for the cardiac/respiratory arrest was given I'd agree that a cardiac centre would be an option. Respiratory arrest/difficulty breathing is not always from a cardiac issue and trauma is any life threatening condition - so a trauma dept would be appropriate, I'd have thought you'd know that judging by your signature...

Judging by my signature I would say that a cardiac arrest where you have ROSC that a Cardiac Center is more appropriate and quite honestly a trauma arrest is likely just going to the closest facility. A lot of places that do not show a response to 30 minutes of ACLS in the field aren't even transporting the patients anymore.

As well as the fact that in three different states that I've operated in the protocol for any active arrest is the closest facility.

Not everyplace does the same thing the same way there is no reason to be condescending or obnoxious about peoples education especially when you clearly haven't all the answers.

• When put up against the game the only medical facilities are hospitals which would have emergency rooms.

VBMedic, you may still transport to these facilities though you will not receive as many credits.

I apologize for the double post but I forgot to mention this. I'm aware that this is a possibility and sometimes do this depending on how "realistic" I feel like operating the game that day. However, because I don't necessarily see the need for them all to go to a trauma center I wasn't sure if it was supposed to happen every time or just a sometimes kind of thing.

• Judging by my signature I would say that a cardiac arrest where you have ROSC that a Cardiac Center is more appropriate and quite honestly a trauma arrest is likely just going to the closest facility. A lot of places that do not show a response to 30 minutes of ACLS in the field aren't even transporting the patients anymore.
    As well as the fact that in three different states that I've operated in the protocol for any active arrest is the closest facility.

Not everyplace does the same thing the same way there is no reason to be condescending or obnoxious about peoples education especially when you clearly haven't all the answers.

Sorry, I thought you failed to understand what trauma was and then tried to umbrella other terms such as breathing difficulty and respiratory arrest under the cardiac problem in your first post. I'm sure you can understand why I would therefore question one's signature.
    Yes, in certain cases within the calls given in the game, another centre all together would be appropriate, but for the given cases(i.e. no cause of said arrest) in the game, it's understandable why a trauma centre is the go to in this game. I think the game does a good job of this by allowing you to get most of the credits for the transport. But gives slightly more for the appropriate department.

• To add to this thread, with the code the developers put on the cardiac arrests (9-E-1, or any other 9 code) the destination should be closest ER, no trauma requirement, as the code indicates a medical related arrest. If they want to add a trauma requirement for an arrest, they need to be coding them as one of the following: 3-D-1, 4-D-1, 13-E-1, 13-E-2, 17-D-2, 21-D-1, 27-D-1, 29-D-6, 30-D-1. All of these codes are associated with traumatic injuries, with the priority letter and info number indicating arrest. If they only want to pick one, I would go with 30-D-1 as its code translates to Traumatic Injuries: ARREST.

As for the accuracy of which hospital the rest should go to, the trauma centre requirement needs to be removed for accuracy. All ERs are equipped to deal with these emergencies, to stabilize the patient before sending them to a more appropriate centre. A cardiac centre would be a destination if ROSC is achieved, but for that, they need to create a new call that an arrest can convert to.

Creator of 'Winnipeg', 'Morden Fire Department' and 'Breast Cancer Awareness (Pink)' graphic packs.
    Alliance: Can-US First Responders (CAFR)

• I know this brings up an old item...

As we are now using Neurosurgery and haven't in the past we also have Cardiac Surgery as an unused specialty for hospitals. Instead of Trauma I could stand behind this as a replacement for requirement as a "STEMI" center for instance is a bit more prevalent than Trauma Centers in my opinion. A Cardiac or STEMI center is the only reason why I'd bypass a closest facility with a cardiac arrest and only if within reasonable distance.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!