Hospitals & Pt Flow

• I've been thinking about ways to ease my growing pains, particularly with hospitals. Having experience in an ER, I think it would be more realistic to move away from the 1 pt discharged per hour rule to a 1 to 2 hour timer assigned to each pt that starts on their arrival at the hospital.

It would be even better to see a timer based on pt's triage code, for example:
    A- 30 minutes
    B- 1 hour
    C- 1 hour 30 minutes
    D- 2 hours
    E- 2 hours 30 minutes

Thoughts?

In the meantime, I'll just keep expanding.

• If anything it would be the other way around :),

My logic is the most serious patients would be treated first and then moved to different parts of the hospital as when patients are released its not really them being released rather it is them being transferred to different parts of the hospital so the most critical ones are transferred first.

• If anything it would be the other way around :),

My logic is the most serious patients would be treated first and then moved to different parts of the hospital as when patients are released its not really them being released rather it is them being transferred to different parts of the hospital so the most critical ones are transferred first.

From my experience, sick patients sit in the ER for 2-3 hours (on a good day) before they're stabilized, a floor bed or a bed in another facility is found, transportation is arranged, and the patient leaves the department. Not sick patients (A&B) are treated and released within an hour, often times without even getting to a room.

Certainly, sick patients have priority, but it's important to realize that the department is capable of treating multiple patients simultaneously, which is why we both agree that patients should have an individual timer rather than a department level timer.

• My temporary solution, was to add a "Clinic" to the hospital and use it as an "ER." I would try to send the lower level PTs to that first and send everything else to the main hospital. It has helped out A LOT since it "adds" another 10 beds to the hospital.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!