Vehicle/Unit Customization

• im trying to keep it slightly less complicated. i understand what your saying but i think due to the amount of differences trough out the USA let alone the world and not to mention the game play balances

a way to see it is in america you can walk up to a pierce dash engine in LA and walk up to one in Miami the differences are huge because the way the US fire services are you would have so many options for pumps tank sizes crew arrangements layouts ect

i know here in Australia mainly NSW almost all full time fire trucks have about the same pump size same tank size and same layout(per type of truck)
    and the volunteer fire service have the same layout on every truck

• im trying to keep it slightly less complicated. i understand what your saying but i think due to the amount of differences trough out the USA let alone the world and not to mention the game play balances

a way to see it is in america you can walk up to a pierce dash engine in LA and walk up to one in Miami the differences are huge because the way the US fire services are you would have so many options for pumps tank sizes crew arrangements layouts ect

i know here in Australia mainly NSW almost all full time fire trucks have about the same pump size same tank size and same layout(per type of truck)
    and the volunteer fire service have the same layout on every truck

I think you will see why i do it that way when you see the spreadsheet (btw you have been added and are able to comment) the values for each will both unlock more calls as well as dictate total amount of resources needed, thus a more custom response by the player as instead of using a set and defined 3 engines and a platform on a room fire, (even tho some is based on chance), it is more defined as we need x amout of pump capacity, and y amount of water ... with that you can choose to run a department of "pumper tankers" and use less units on scene but for higher cost. Also this addresses the exact issue that you are talking about as far as the differences in the fire service in the USA and world wide ... a player will want to play with a set up as they have in their home area, thus this allows them to make it closer to how they want it.

Also the differences you mention in the fire apparatus in america ... well slight correction, they really are not ALL that different. The largest difference cause is the age of the apparatus, many department are running older apparatus when it was acceptable to have a 750 GPM pump. Most new apparatus while will be different depending on region are largely the same ... IE 1500 GPM pump, (tank size varies based on geographic region and water supply of the district.) I am an engineer on a professional department, and can tell you that you can walk up to most american fire trucks and be fairly familiar with what it is just by giving it a quick glance over.

• Ok, your minimum specs are a little bizarre. 300gal is the most common tank size for Quintsbut many are 100-300gal. A minimum 300gal Pumper tank and 250gpm pump? Maybe for 1915 but not for today, Pumpers have 1000gpm minimum and 500gal water, and no minimum for foam.
    Here is what would make more sense.
    Pumper: 1000-2500gpm pump. 500-1800gal water tank, any size foam cell/tank.
    Mini Pumper/Brush Truck: 25-1500gpm pump, 100-450gal water tank, any size foam cell/tank.
    Quint: 1000-2500gpm pump, 100-1000gal water tank, any size foam cell/tank, 65-137' ladder.
    Aerial Ladder: 65-137' ladder.
    Tanker: 0-750gpm pump, 1000-8000gal tank, any size foam cell/tank.
    Upgrades to any apparatus: Extrication tools, light tower, cascade system, hazmat equipment, command center, water rescue equipment.
    Plus the Pumper Tanker should be added that functions as either a Pumper or a Tanker at a scene. 1000-2500gpm and 1000-5000gal plus the any size foam tank.

• Alright, I am going to assume you are a firefighter thus I am going to assume you should understand NFPA. Please direct yourself to the NFPA 1901 documents and read what the MINIMUM requirements for each type of apparatus are.

I will give credit where credit is due. You are right, the most common size tank for a quint is 300 gallons, I personally have never seen or heard of one that has 1000 gallons, but i am not denying they exist. I have been on them with anything from a 100 gallon tank to a 500 gallon tank. In reference to your comment about modern pumpers, there is a defined range in NFPA 1901. So yes, a department has every right to buy a "pumper" apparatus with a 300 gallon tank and 250 gpm pump. They are just getting by with the standard, but that is what their choice is. Prime example is a mini pumper, it meets the classifications to be called a pumping apparatus, thus it IS a pumper and not an initial attack apparatus. Now there is further regulation on requirements for interior attack vs using a pumping apparatus for vehicle fires or outdoor fires, but that is a bit above the scale of missionchief.

• I saw one on Facebook once. A mid-mount 65' with a tandem axle and carrying 1000gal of water. Not common but it's been done. Mini Pumpers are initial attack in places, one department locally only has a Mini Pumper for fire attack. Mini Pumpers are also smaller in size than a Pumper, a Pick-up chassis instead of a Pierce Saber or KME Predator chassis. The local Mini Pumper is a F-550/KME 1500/300 just delivered in November or December can't remember which. I seriously doubt any department would buy a full sized Pumper with only a 250gpm pump, they might as well call it a Brush Truck. Anything smaller than 1000/500 and the manufacturer would classify it as a Mini Pumper.

• I saw one on Facebook once. A mid-mount 65' with a tandem axle and carrying 1000gal of water. Not common but it's been done. Mini Pumpers are initial attack in places, one department locally only has a Mini Pumper for fire attack. Mini Pumpers are also smaller in size than a Pumper, a Pick-up chassis instead of a Pierce Saber or KME Predator chassis. The local Mini Pumper is a F-550/KME 1500/300 just delivered in November or December can't remember which. I seriously doubt any department would buy a full sized Pumper with only a 250gpm pump, they might as well call it a Brush Truck. Anything smaller than 1000/500 and the manufacturer would classify it as a Mini Pumper.

Again, its not about what local departments want ... it is about what NFPA 1901 specifies ... this is the standard used in the United States and Canada (and expanding to other countries as well.) This is what DEFINES the apparatus, if you do not want an engine with a 250 gallon per minute pump, do not make one .... also mini pumpers are not always a pickup chassis

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pini…caeee1bc9d8c7dd34a0e7.jpg

http://www.fireapparatusmagazi…-PetrilloSmallPumper3.jpg

• I think this system is a good concept, but it is not going to happen anytime soon. The shsyem would take a while to implement. Personally, i would like to see this be a part of missionchief eventually, as well as training courses that reduce the time incidents take to complete (Fire 1, Hazmat Ops) but things like those are far out in the development timeline

Aether, I have been thinking how this would be able to be implemented without hurting existing players and have a few ideas. Not sure if you are able to give out details or not on how calls are scripted but is that something we could discuss?

• Again, its not about what local departments want ... it is about what NFPA 1901 specifies ... this is the standard used in the United States and Canada (and expanding to other countries as well.) This is what DEFINES the apparatus, if you do not want an engine with a 250 gallon per minute pump, do not make one .... also mini pumpers are not always a pickup chassis
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pini…caeee1bc9d8c7dd34a0e7.jpg

http://www.fireapparatusmagazi…-PetrilloSmallPumper3.jpg

I spy some HME trucks! From my hometown of Wyoming, MI :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!