Question on ALS Vs BLS

• I have several walk in clinics. When a mission comes up to transport/transfer a patient it specifically says "BLS unit can be used". But each time or 90% of the time i try and use a BLS unit stationed at the clinic it rejects the response until I use an ALS unit. why is this?

• MissionChief US uses MPDS Determinant Codes as a basis for the type of vehicle required:

Alpha Level patients (XX-A-XX): Can be treated by either BLS, ALS or Fly-Car and released. If transport is required BLS and ALS can transport.

Bravo Level patients (XX-B-XX): Can be transported by BLS or ALS Ambulance

Charlie, Delta & Echo level patients, can be transported by ALS Ambulance OR a BLS Ambulance can transport when either a Fly-Car or EMS Rescue is on scene.

Omega Level patients, are presently only allowing transport by ALS patient, the actual determinant code of Omega is meant to be a referable call, this is presently in error.

The better clarify:

Fly-Car or EMS Rescue: Can treat and release patients or act as an ALS upgrade for a BLS ambulance to transport Charlie, Delta, Echo and Omega patients.

BLS Ambulance can treat and transport Alpha and Bravo patients.

ALS Ambulance can treat and transport all patients.

Fly-Car/EMS Rescue/BLS Ambulance: Can treat patients above their level that require transport up to 90%, then will require an additional unit to complete/transport.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!