New Fire Extention

• Something that I thought of while planning future rural fire stations is that some of them have a medical first response model that isn't currently featured in the game. It could be implemented as an extension, but it would have to be available to small fire stations as well. Basically, you would have the option to buy a utility unit or a mini pumper (type 2 Engine) that was designated medical first response, that would treat the patient to the same extent as a fly car would, but not transport. You could then also use it for your fire calls as a normal fire unit. You would also need it to show up in your ambulance drop down when dispatching.

You could also create a new fire course to go along with this to train staff in medical first response, or, as has been suggested in a few different threads, make it an EMS course so you can implement EMS training facilities (although you would then need it to accept fire staff, but I don't see that being much of an issue).

I can see this making the most difference for North America, where our rural EMS stations are far apart and the MFR Fire Departments fill a gap in service.

Creator of 'Winnipeg', 'Morden Fire Department' and 'Breast Cancer Awareness (Pink)' graphic packs.
    Alliance: Can-US First Responders (CAFR)

• I've never heard of this before. Of course I live in New Jersey as we have EMS differently. But this is interesting. I was gonna say EMS courses were already mentioned but you beat me to it lol.

I've been having blonde moments all day so if you could further explain this I'd really appreciate it

Sounds interesting so far

• So whilst not a new unit there is actually medical training for fire units planned. This will allow any fire unit with crew that have the training to become an ALS asset and function as a fly car. So that could be an ALS engine or truck.

• I've never heard of this before. Of course I live in New Jersey as we have EMS differently. But this is interesting. I was gonna say EMS courses were already mentioned but you beat me to it lol.

I've been having blonde moments all day so if you could further explain this I'd really appreciate it

In Manitoba, EMS was originally ran by Rural Municipalities (basically Canada's version of a County). Then the province gave that responsibility to Rural Health authorities, who took over all EMS stations, with the exception of a couple of private services. Since Manitoba is such a large area, and some of the EMS stations are spaced far apart, some Rural Municipalities got their fire departments to train their volunteer members as Emergency Medical Responders (EMRs) and to recruit paramedics as volunteer firefighters, so that they could attend EMS calls as a first response, therefore decreasing the time from when the 911 call is made to when first care is provided to the patient. The majority of these departments have mini-pumpers or utility units designated as their MFR units.

So basically, MFR is just a means to improve patient care on behalf of the RMs. They are dispatched by the medical dispatch centre, like an ambulance. I'm not totally sure how widely this model is used, and even how it will look in the coming years in Manitoba, as our EMS delivery system is getting another overhaul. But it would definitely be of use in the game, so it's nice to hear from TACRfan that something similarly could be on the way.

Creator of 'Winnipeg', 'Morden Fire Department' and 'Breast Cancer Awareness (Pink)' graphic packs.
    Alliance: Can-US First Responders (CAFR)

it is a thing. At my department we have a specific SUV loaded with EMS equipment and it gets sent out with an ambulance to medical emergencies in the area.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!