NEW UPDATE :D Flood/Disaster trailer update

• Don't know if anyone else saw this, but all fire apparatus that can pump/carry water (except type 6 & 7 wildfire) have pump capabilities in GPM. I am still confused why a heavy rescue has a 1500 GPM rating... but it doesn't take much to confuse me, either.

Chief, I'm a rescue man. I trained to be a rescue man, and I like being a rescue man. - Johnny Gage, LA County Rescue Squad 10

• Don't know if anyone else saw this, but all fire apparatus that can pump/carry water (except type 6 & 7 wildfire) have pump capabilities in GPM. I am still confused why a heavy rescue has a 1500 GPM rating... but it doesn't take much to confuse me, either.

Because it has a pump.... but likewise, I would question that if a heavy rescue has a pump capacity, why does it not carry water?

• I would think heavy rescue vehicles would carry small pumps for special operations (such as a flood) They can still be a dry truck just with some support pumps for the other trucks.

Agreed, but to get to the 1500 GPM rating, they would have to carry at least 5 of them (presuming they all have an output of 300 GPM), taking up a lot of space and reducing the amount of gear the rescue could carry. Just keep in mind I haven't been on a fire truck in 30 years, and things may have changed just a little bit since then...

Chief, I'm a rescue man. I trained to be a rescue man, and I like being a rescue man. - Johnny Gage, LA County Rescue Squad 10

• Agreed, but to get to the 1500 GPM rating, they would have to carry at least 5 of them (presuming they all have an output of 300 GPM), taking up a lot of space and reducing the amount of gear the rescue could carry. Just keep in mind I haven't been on a fire truck in 30 years, and things may have changed just a little bit since then...

I say lower it quite a bit, I would expect maybe 2 small portable pumps on a dry rescue truck

• I do agree that a lot of this isn't in rural America, some of this would be run by private organizations or DOT/Road crews, but I don't think it would be forcing it on someone since they are part of an extension (If you exclude that bug you are experiencing)

Even more than that though, a lot of these agencies that have all this equipment and responses are going to be state or federal crews that come in on request or order from a state government not just dispatched like regular units. These are all going to be specialized task forces that are assembled and sent out on request.

• I would think heavy rescue vehicles would carry small pumps for special operations (such as a flood) They can still be a dry truck just with some support pumps for the other trucks.

This is true, as far as I know thats a pretty standard piece of equipment for heavy rescues (at least in my state), a few small electric plug in sump pumps and then a bigger gas powered suction pump, but definitely not a 1500 GPM pump, thats on the more powerful end of pumps even for engines, most engines have 1250s not 1500s although they are becoming more common.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!