Vehicle Navigation

• Problems with the navigation system have been brought up before in the past, but I think that this is something pretty obvious that could hopefully be fixed and implemented onto other versions.

As an emergency vehicle you are permitted by law to break the road rules in Australia, or at least in Vic. By which I mean drive on the wrong side of the road and in the opposite direction to traffic. So, I think that this is something that emergency vehicles should be able to do. Maybe when driving the wrong way, the vehicle speed could be 50% less? Like in this screenshot, where the incident was a couple of meters up the wrong side of a street but nav made the unit do a blockie. Patients can die because of this sort of stuff! And it would be easier to obtain the 'fast extinguished' award, which is like impossible to complete (missions finished in under 2 min from time of generation).

• I think that you should also be able to reroute the vehicle while it is driving in the US version of the game.

Please keep comments about the US version to the relevant forum thread. This is for the Australian version.

Thank you,

• Usually legislation says that a driver may use lights and sirens as a defense in a crash, Not actually permitted to break the law. My understand the wrong way up a one-way road or motorway if t not closed would be something police would charge you for in the event of a crash.

• Usually legislation says that a driver may use lights and sirens as a defense in a crash, Not actually permitted to break the law. My understand the wrong way up a one-way road or motorway if t not closed would be something police would charge you for in the event of a crash.

This screenshot is from VicRoads. It says quite clearly that "In emergencies, law enforcement and other emergency vehicles are not required to follow the road rules."

I am not sure about the exact details of laws in other states, but generally emergency vehicles are allowed to drive on the opposite side of the road when responding to a time critical incident (which is basically every 000 call). So I'm pretty sure my suggestion was a valid point and something that could hopefully be added to the game.

• This screenshot is from VicRoads. It says quite clearly that "In emergencies, law enforcement and other emergency vehicles are not required to follow the road rules."

I am not sure about the exact details of laws in other states, but generally emergency vehicles are allowed to drive on the opposite side of the road when responding to a time critical incident (which is basically every 000 call). So I'm pretty sure my suggestion was a valid point and something that could hopefully be added to the game.

I am not disputing what you are saying, I spent 20 years driving Fire Appliances, and I know what the legislation says regarding the operation of emergency vehicles from drivers' perspective the wording is may break certain rules. As far as the game is concerned I agree it would make things easier but it is not actually real life, only for threat to life would the rules go out the window. The article you have shown is for the public and written for people in very basic terms. But you legislation in Vic maybe different than most countries, and I maybe wrong but of there are no ERD rule then lawlessness and death would follow.

• I am not disputing what you are saying, I spent 20 years driving Fire Appliances, and I know what the legislation says regarding the operation of emergency vehicles from drivers' perspective the wording is may break certain rules. As far as the game is concerned I agree it would make things easier but it is not actually real life, only for threat to life would the rules go out the window. The article you have shown is for the public and written for people in very basic terms. But you legislation in Vic maybe different than most countries, and I maybe wrong but of there are no ERD rule then lawlessness and death would follow.

To be a bit clearer;

The change I suggested was not driving the whole way or large distances on the wrong side of the road, because I agree, it is asking for an accident. I was suggesting that for short distances (like the screen shot in my original post where the incident was 20m from the intersection), that the responding emergency vehicles get directed up the opposite side of a street. And I also suggested a 50% reduction in speed if this takes place for realism and safety.

• To be a bit clearer;

The change I suggested was not driving the whole way or large distances on the wrong side of the road, because I agree, it is asking for an accident. I was suggesting that for short distances (like the screen shot in my original post where the incident was 20m from the intersection), that the responding emergency vehicles get directed up the opposite side of a street. And I also suggested a 50% reduction in speed if this takes place for realism and safety.

fully agree

• To be a bit clearer;

I'm not sure if the navigation system used in game could necessarily calculate this as it finds the shortest route from point A to point B currently following normal traffic laws.

To be able to add in additional routes where breaking the normal traffic laws is permissible for X # of meters would likely require it to recalculate way too many nodes from OSM - effectively slowing down dispatch time.

While I'd love to see it as feasible - I can't see how it would be calculable by the system without a major hit to performance.

• Curiosity I understand way you are trying to achieve from a realism perspective however it believe it is more complicated than simply driving on the wrong side of the road. If you want realism you then maps would also need to take into account barriers that prevent vehicles from crossing over onto the wrong side of the road. Open Source Maps currently do not contain this type of detail which then makes programming it very hard.

• Curiosity I understand way you are trying to achieve from a realism perspective however it believe it is more complicated than simply driving on the wrong side of the road. If you want realism you then maps would also need to take into account barriers that prevent vehicles from crossing over onto the wrong side of the road. Open Source Maps currently do not contain this type of detail which then makes programming it very hard.

Thanks for your reply. I understand that this is most likely not possible with the current navigation software in Mission Chief. Just putting it out there, so in the future if anything changes, it can be looked at again.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!