'Smoke Investigation' call

• I have a bit of concern with this call in particular...

It requires you to dispatch a fire truck, platform and battalion chief. In real life, only a single fire truck would attend the call so it makes me wonder why we need all 3 to attend it.

Most cities only have a handful of platform trucks, so having them travel for ages to a call that shouldn't require them is frustrating at times. When there are much more important calls such as large confirmed fires and you're waiting and waiting for a platform, you'll get my point...

In most if not all cases, one fire truck is sent to investigate. If there is something found, then THAT is when more get dispatched. I know for a fact that's how it works in Australia, and I'm nearly certain it's the same in the United States, and elsewhere.

So after saying all this... Could we have this mission modified so that it is more appropriately realistic? If for some reason not, then perhaps a separate call where you only require 1 fire truck? :)

• I actually agree to this.

• The only thing is Smoke Investigation leads to Roof Fire. I can deal with 2 engines but what about adding a Battalion Chief as well so that if it escalates you can just send a ladder truck next? Now I see everyones point with the Ladder Truck but can we have it for like 25% needed in case let's say the building is higher than a regular ladder can go up to. Then you'd need the Platform Ladder to go up there.

Or have the option for either an Engine or Quint. Give the Quint a mission unless that just falls under Engine which would make sense. Anyhow..

Either 2 Engines and a Chief or 1 Engine and 1 Chief. Regardless I'd like to see a Chief in it personally.

• I'm actually going to offer a dissenting opinion and say it's pretty realistic as it is. The response is based on the probability that there is a potential structure fire (seeing as the upgraded call is a residential fire), and the minimum amount of apparatus and equipment are dispatched so proper assignments can be given in the event of a fire. Granted this next bit is anecdotal, but around here the only case where a call like this wouldn't receive a ladder on the assignment is in the rural areas where some departments don't have or need ladders due to their response area not having any structures that would warrant a ladder truck, or they can't afford one because of budget constraints; however, some of those departments have mutual aid agreements with nearby departments who do have ladders that will respond to fill out the assignment for a confirmed structure fire. Just my 0.02 cents.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!