Reserve vehicles

• I had an idea for a new building, it would cost 100k and would be very similar to a fire station however calls don't spawn around it, it would be a place where you could have reserve engines that you can use for large incidents or if they ever add the feature of having other engines provide cover at stations then these vehicles could be used for that aswell.

• Or like what people in are alliance do they build a fire station and have that county's reserve vehicles there? And set the as state 6?

yea you could do something like that, you could have all the vehicles in it state 6 until they are needed and then you could either deploy them straight to an incident or send them to cover at another station, maybe a feature you could also have is the ability to allow certain members of your alliance access to the vehicles

• I have a reserve command vehicle that I exclude from my run cards, so if I need it I check if off manually. The fire station with status 6 vehicles is a good method for now. I'll discuss the idea with the other moderators.

• An alternative to having a new building could be just having a check box in Fire/Police/Ambulance Station's settings to say whether or not calls should be spawned for it.

Well in real life fires would still happen around the area. Imo you shouldn't throw your reserve station in the middle of nowhere; make sure there are stations around to cover that area.

• Well in real life fires would still happen around the area. Imo you shouldn't throw you're reserve station in the middle of nowhere; make sure there are stations around to cover that area.

True, in fact many keep their reserves (at least in the UK) at their HQs, which would be in built up areas, or in industrial areas so this would make sense. As you said, fires would still happen in those areas regardless if there were stations near or not.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to leave your reserve building until last, or at least until you have made most of the stations surrounding it.

• The reason that I said about a reserve building is my county has a workshop that is not near the HQ and this is where they keep the reserve appliances, I think maybe the better option would be to have an option to disable calls around this building so if you have an appliance store in the middle of nowhere you can disable calls around it. The problem I see with not disabling calls around your building if it's in the middle of nowhere is if you get calls such as the industrial fire it could take a long time to get appliances to it, to get an appliance to an incident where my workshop/vehicle store would be from my nearest real life station takes 15 minutes and that is only a type 1 engine (I have tested this during a storm)

Then you could have an option on appliances to share the appliance with your alliance members and then whatever call they dispatch them too you would also get credits as it's you vehicle.

• The reason that I said about a reserve building is my county has a workshop that is not near the HQ and this is where they keep the reserve appliances, I think maybe the better option would be to have an option to disable calls around this building so if you have an appliance store in the middle of nowhere you can disable calls around it. The problem I see with not disabling calls around your building if it's in the middle of nowhere is if you get calls such as the industrial fire it could take a long time to get appliances to it, to get an appliance to an incident where my workshop/vehicle store would be from my nearest real life station takes 15 minutes and that is only a type 1 engine (I have tested this during a storm)

Then you could have an option on appliances to share the appliance with your alliance members and then whatever call they dispatch them too you would also get credits as it's you vehicle.

Fair point, but if there was a MVA near your reserve station surely the long journey time from an active station would just be the reality? I'm sure where the vehicles are being stored there is going to be a public road, or something that could potentially catch fire?

There are areas in my county where no calls generate because they're not near any station but of course in real life something could still happen.

• Fair point, but if there was a MVA near your reserve station surely the long journey time from an active station would just be the reality? I'm sure where the vehicles are being stored there is going to be a public road, or something that could potentially catch fire?
    There are areas in my county where no calls generate because they're not near any station but of course in real life something could still happen.

you do have a good point but the place I am talking about is actually on an RAF base

Are you sure that these reserve appliances have crews though?? Im not sure how familiar you are with how the Fire Services are setup around the world, if your a fan of the emergency services or an actual firefighter yourself (as I am).
    We have Reserve (We call them relief) appliances in the main city of our region, (Taranaki). These relief appliances are NOT crewed at any time, and are only used to replace other appliances when they are out of action/having maintenance performed on them.

When an appliance, say for example 481, is due for a service, A mechanic or other Fire Service staff member will drive the relief appliance down to 481's station. They will drop the relief appliance off at that station, and then return to the workshop with 481. At this point the relief appliance becomes Acting 481 because it is no longer in a relief role. The true 481 is returned to its home station when it is serviced and fit for duty, and the relief appliance is returned to the workshop until it is needed again.

In my opinion if a reserve appliance actually is crewed, then it is no longer a reserve appliance, rather a normal appliance.

Does anyone agree with me? If you have any questions let me know, as i fear my explanation is not 100% clear to someone who doesn't already know the system.

• These appliances are not crewed as they sit in a workshop rather than a firestation however more senior firefighters and fire enforcement officers still undergo training encase these vehicles are needed and/or they need more firefighters, another purpose these particular engines have is that they can be used by the military to provide fire cover if the fire service is on strike.

• My thoughts exactly. We do the same for our reserve equipment. Just like the other day, our engine had a coolant leak. So, Chief came and picked up one of us to go pick up Reserve Engine 2 at station 8, while the others drove the other engine to the shop. We house reserve equipment at different stations throughout our department. Not normally at one central location.

• Often if there is a major incident in a city and most of the staffed units are out on it the department will page all off-duty firefighters who will come in and take the reserve unit. So yes, though the reserves are not staffed full-time they are definitely available to respond for the "big stuff".

• The reserves used by local cities are both in stations with active apparatus and in closed "Annex" locations that are former fire halls. Reserves aren't used in the rural county I live in, too much cost to keep a truck that isn't going to be used except at maybe a 7th Alarm fire during another 7th alarm fire. And no they aren't crewed in the career depts that use them, although some combination depts with limited apparatus have them slated for volunteer use, volunteer depts with them naturally don't crew any of their apparatus so of course the reserves aren't crewed in those.

• on Australia we just keep the old apparats at a storage yard and they are used as reserve or SEV service exchange vehicle like in the pictures I put above the Scania is the current vehicle 2013 Bronto lift that replaced the 2001 iveco now the iveco is used to replace the Scania when not in use

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!