Fleet services/Division of Equipment?

• Hear me out….

Most departments have a fleet services or a division of equipment, something along those lines, but the main idea is that apparatus that need to be maintained. Maybe, just an idea, we get a building to service vehicles at certain points. Say every 4500-5500 miles, an apparatus needs an oil change and the game randomly chooses a mileage point within that area. Now your vehicle needs to go out of service and head over to fleet services, and the oil change takes maybe 2 hours.

You might think, “Why the heck would I want to have a building that takes away my resources for valuable hours”

To combat this, most departments also have a reserve fleet. As a player maybe you build a fire station just for reserve apparatus that are out of service until they need to get shifted to a station to cover a vehicles maintenance time.

Better yet, maybe the fleet services has reserve apparatus room where you can put however many units you need.

Maybe your ambulance breaks down and you need a fleet services utility to go and fix it, or a fleet services tow truck to bring it back to the shop? (New education: Tow Truck Operator??? Mechanic???)

The possibilities are endless!

Just some ideas, I think it would add realism and be a cool addition.

Opinions?

• My personal opinion is not in favour of the idea.

I do not like the idea of vehicles breaking down and potentially requiring replacement at a certain mileage amount. For players with very large amounts of vehicles, that would be an endless cycle of vehicle maintenance and replacements instead of actually dealing with responding to emergencies.

I know people with much larger setups than I have and I currently have 2,256 vehicles. I know that if such a feature came out, I would significantly decrease playing or stop playing altogether.

• Perhaps a slightly better way to implement a bit of mechanical issues into the game would be a failed dispatch due to mechanical and that vehicle being placed into an out of service status until repaired (however that mechanism would work). In my opinion that works better than suddenly having to replace vehicles.

• If this could be implemented with a specific station which houses reserves, and automatically swaps the reserve with the original for say 8 hours or something, then as long as a player had a station like this for every 500 vehicles for example, I'm sure the automation could be set to never leave the player with fewer active vehicles than intended, and therefore act almost like an automatic cosmetic feature whereby it swaps reserve and normal appliances to give more variety to a setup. I'd use it if it were fully automatic (besides purchasing the initial reserve vehicles etc) but if it were manual, I'd never touch it with the large setups I have.

• If its implemented Id like a toggle. Im here to dispatch to missions, not play mechanic simulator. I have thousands of vehicles, to have those constantly cycling out of service would infuriate me when trying to play.

• If its implemented Id like a toggle. Im here to dispatch to missions, not okay mechanic simulator. I have thousands of vehicles, to have those constantly cycling out of service would infuriate me when trying to play.

We do not agree on a lot of things but I am with you on this one. I think this is unnecessary...

• My personal opinion is not in favour of the idea.

I do not like the idea of vehicles breaking down and potentially requiring replacement at a certain mileage amount. For players with very large amounts of vehicles, that would be an endless cycle of vehicle maintenance and replacements instead of actually dealing with responding to emergencies.

I know people with much larger setups than I have and I currently have 2,256 vehicles. I know that if such a feature came out, I would significantly decrease playing or stop playing altogether.

have an option button in dispatch or each station to opt in or out of the maintenance feature

• Sorry, pretty late to this thread but just to put in my 2 cents.

Personally I already play fleet services as units in my large departments. I count them as mobile airs, since few even large departments, have more than 2-4. So I use that category of unit for any kind of scene support truck the department owns (like canteens, rehabs, ventilation trucks, mechanics, etc)

I also house my “reserve fleet” at that station which I send for mutual aid for large events or long distances.

The mechanical problems etc. could be cool, but I can definitely see it causing problems.

• I would say I agree and like this idea, however I am already down apparatus and most of mine are already at the 10,000 to 100,000 mile range (which real life is the time frame of equipment vehicle check ups I am pretty sure) and I don’t want to buy apparatus barely used besides maybe once every 3-12 months, at that point adding the ability to sell stations and vehicles which has came up many times so I won’t go into it would also seem like a good idea to add. That’s why I have to surprisingly disagree. Sorry to add to this after a month but since someone else opened it up I thought I would just add my opinion though it seems to be settled.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!