US Version HEMS Changes

• Good Afternoon,

I think that an update to the HEMS system for the US Version would be beneficial. There are currently no calls that require medical helicopters and as of now, you can just dispatch a helicopter to any medical call, regardless of severity. In the US, medical helicopters are usually only used for the most severe of calls that require quick transport to a specialized hospital such as a Level 1 trauma center or major stroke center. Most of the time, an ambulance will arrive on scene and assess the patient. They then determine that helicopter transport will be the best option and request HEMS. It is then that a helicopter is dispatched to the scene. It is also worth noting that medical helicopters in the US have a minimum crew of 2 with most having 3, yet in the game, you can only have 1 person on the helicopter. There is also specialized training for HEMS personnel.

My idea is to have missions that can update to require a HEMS unit. Such as Vehicle Accidents, Severe Fires, Stroke calls. These calls can update to require a HEMS units after the first EMS unit, such as an ambulance or supervisor, arrives and evaluates the patient. I would also like to see an increase in personnel for a HEMS unit to at least 2 as well as a requirement for special education for HEMS crew members.

Please let me know what y'all think.

• That is the same thing where I live.

• I disagree with this as it is normally based on other factors such as distance form hospital’s patient condition, ambulance running times, the ability to swnd it to any call is very beneficial

Yeah, on the AU version lots of missions have a % of HEMS required.

• Yeah, on the AU version lots of missions have a % of HEMS required.

That requirement is really bad imo. Your intensive care system is quite similar to our critical care system. In our game the HEMS % was removed form the game and now the helicopter is able to be used as a replacement for the Critical Care Crews but still needs a road ambulance (which should be changed imo) But previously we had separate HEMS and Critical care, it was awful imo. And I hope it is changed for you guys

• That requirement is really bad imo. Your intensive care system is quite similar to our critical care system. In our game the HEMS % was removed form the game and now the helicopter is able to be used as a replacement for the Critical Care Crews but still needs a road ambulance (which should be changed imo) But previously we had separate HEMS and Critical care, it was awful imo. And I hope it is changed for you guys

I'm not sure about the UK, but for us Intensive Care trained people can go on ambulances. I have one IC paramedic on every ambo (and lots of others do the same), so without the HEMS % requirement there would be no use for the air ambos because intensive care would be on-scene anyway.

• I'm not sure about the UK, but for us Intensive Care trained people can go on ambulances. I have one IC paramedic on every ambo (and lots of others do the same), so without the HEMS % requirement there would be no use for the air ambos because intensive care would be on-scene anyway.

I guess play styles differ, for me i only have a few critical care crews and air ambulances are often sent to calls they can be put on ambos but thats not as fun imo

• I guess play styles differ, for me i only have a few critical care crews and air ambulances are often sent to calls they can be put on ambos but thats not as fun imo

Yes, thats why I like intensive care and HEMS seperate - because intensive care is on scene anyway. Weres the fun if the air ambos job is taken by an ambulance? I have intensive care as standard, so basicaly your critical care is my air ambo.

• I agree on increasing calls for hems but we need to find it more realistic here in Philadelphia for example well the surrounding suburbs we rarely fly a stroke patient but do fly patients from mvc’s or trauma activations so that needs to be taken into consideration. For example it makes no sense to require me to fly a stroke victim to the hospital when the hospital is only a mile away. Maybe combine the hems with an update to allow non emergency transport between hospitals etc like we do now with ground ambulances in the game even allow an extension to increase those missions. I have two helicopters with over 30k in mileage and not a single mission was anything more then backing up my alliance for extra coins.

• The fact of HEMS Being optional is due to many factors. In most field trauma triage (FTT) protocols, there are other factors that may trigger a requirement for a HEMS unit (such as ground ambulance distance to hospital, flight conditions and LZ availability).

I am also aware of Air Ambulance taking persons from remote areas where a hospital is so far that ground ambulance transport would be detrimental.

The fact that it is optional, allows players to utilise their HEMS units as they feel fit and can choose the level of realisim that they want to play.

• The fact of HEMS Being optional is due to many factors. In most field trauma triage (FTT) protocols, there are other factors that may trigger a requirement for a HEMS unit (such as ground ambulance distance to hospital, flight conditions and LZ availability).

I am also aware of Air Ambulance taking persons from remote areas where a hospital is so far that ground ambulance transport would be detrimental.

The fact that it is optional, allows players to utilise their HEMS units as they feel fit and can choose the level of realisim that they want to play.

Agreed, for sure, but the number of personnel on the aircraft should be modified... Pilot, Flight Medic and Flight Nurse

• Not sure about others, but in the area that I work in.....Tampa Bay Region in the US...there is no "required" use of a helicopter for emergency transport.. It is at the discretion of the on scene IC or Paramedic

Tampa bay is also a metro area. Lots of places out west, more rural areas, and even some suburban areas would grab a heli if there was a major car crash, fire, other accident with massive injury and transport like that. I have been involved in several incidents where the only reason a patient made it from car crashes was because we had a heli to transport them. Cuts transport time down by a lot especially for an extended extrication. However, you are right in the fact that there isnt any requirement for it, but i think the point the OP is making is that the "IC" in the game should be able to request it (by updating the mission to have it as a requirement).

• Tampa bay is also a metro area. Lots of places out west, more rural areas, and even some suburban areas would grab a heli if there was a major car crash, fire, other accident with massive injury and transport like that. I have been involved in several incidents where the only reason a patient made it from car crashes was because we had a heli to transport them. Cuts transport time down by a lot especially for an extended extrication. However, you are right in the fact that there isnt any requirement for it, but i think the point the OP is making is that the "IC" in the game should be able to request it (by updating the mission to have it as a requirement).

That is why I say you the game should not use mandatory requirements for Helicopter Transports. It is not common or consistent across the nation. if you want helicopter set ups in your area then buy them and dispatch them on calls where they apply just like I do. Only thing i agree on is that the number of crew should change... Pilot, Flight Medic, Flight Nurse

• That is why I say you the game should not use mandatory requirements for Helicopter Transports. It is not common or consistent across the nation. if you want helicopter set ups in your area then buy them and dispatch them on calls where they apply just like I do. Only thing i agree on is that the number of crew should change... Pilot, Flight Medic, Flight Nurse

I disagree. I think that you should have mandatory helicopter transports in the game on serious trauma calls.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!